WINFIELD — After very few fires the for the past seven years, the City of Winfield had two major fires break out on the same day on Monday, April 8, fire chief Josh Sparrow said.
The first fire was at 311 S. Locust Street in Winfield. Sparrow said a discarded cigarette sparked a fire on the deck. By the time the fire department arrived there were 10-foot flames reaching the house.
“We had that one extinguished rather quickly,” Sparrow said. “It burned up the deck and there was a lot of charring on the underside of the roof and rafters.”
Sparrow said there was no fire damage to personal items inside the house, but there was smoke and water damage.
The second fire broke out that afternoon at 204. S. Bashford Street in Winfield.
An electrical fire that started in the garage spread to a camper and a pickup truck and melted siding on two nearby houses. Because of some fireworks and black powder kegs stored in the garage, there were several “large blasts” contained to the garage, Sparrow said.
“By the time we got there the garage was unsavable,” Sparrow said. “The garage, the camper and the truck were complete loses.”